Not only reading as a catalogue of colossal, genre defining hits but also acting as a reminder of just how big a contribution to the evolution of electronic music Perfecto Records has made since its inception back in 1989.
Founded by 3 x Grammy nominated and former DJ Mag # 1 DJ, producer and former Champion Records A&R man Paul Oakenfold – Perfecto began at a time when house music, rave culture and the Balearic scene were all in full bloom in the UK.
Paul Oakenfold: “They say time flies when you’re having fun and here we are twenty five years after I started Perfecto Records, looking back over two and a half decades of incredible music, as well as all the wonderful memories attached to each of these amazing releases. Every single one of these records and the hundreds of others, that sadly there wasn’t enough room to include on the album, represent a chapter in the history of a record label that I feel incredibly proud to have been a part of since it started.”
Since its first release – Izit ‘Stories’ – Perfecto went on to release the music of countless headliners of the future including Carl Cox, David Guetta, BT, Man with No Name, Timo Maas, Tiësto, Grooverider and many more. It of course also served as a platform for Oakenfold and his many guises including Grace and Planet Perfecto to present his exciting, fresh sounds to the world. And it was his pioneering writing, production style and sound that would lead to Grammy nominations and numerous high profile co-writing and remix jobs with the likes of Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Azealia Banks, U2, The Happy Mondays………the list goes on.
Paul Oakenfold: “There have been many manifestations of Perfecto Records, from the early days under Warners right through to our current partnering with Armada Music, but throughout all these stages our manifesto has remained the same – to always be on the hunt for great songs, killer melodies, and exciting new artists regardless of style or genre.”
And here, nearly three decades and 10 million record sales later, this iconic label continues to thrive with a new line up of exciting young talent – all making fresh melodic music from house to breaks, trance to EDM for the famous P shield that hangs on the wall at Perfecto’s UK offices.
Paul Oakenfold: “There is nothing more exhilarating than finding fresh music from an new artist that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I would say that this has been the main driving force behind my entire existence for the last three decades and Perfecto Records has been my platform to present these great talents – like Hernan Cattaneo, Timo Maas, Plump DJs, Infected Mushroom, Arthur Baker, Tiësto, Astrix, David Guetta and so many more – to you.”
25 years of Perfecto Records is an album that tells an epic story….
Paul Oakenfold: “From the soulful house of Mozaic ‘Sing it’ (The Hallelujah Song) through to the ripping Goa trance sounds of Man with No Name I feel confident this album really is an authentic representation of the many stages of Perfecto’s evolution. But with such a massive back catalogue the task of choosing just thirty or so tracks to represent the absolute crème de la crème of Perfecto proved to be quite a challenge. However, after a great deal of retrospective research and passionate, often heated, debate with the team in my office (who are all die hard Perfecto fans) I think we’ve settled on a tracklist that is an entirely fitting tribute to the many chapters of the Perfecto story.”
….a story that will excite those that were part of it and educate those that were not. ‘Bullet in The Gun’, ‘Not Over Yet’, ‘Southern Sun’, ‘Finally’, ‘Vavoom’, ‘Café Del Mar’………every track a household name within the wider music industry.
Try to think how many labels are still running today that were there when it started?
How many labels have experienced the full transition from an underground illegal scene right through to the commercialised pop market known as EDM today?
What label can release an album that spans the entire timeline of the dance scene’s existence – only picking music from its own back catalogue?
When recently asked in an interview to try and sum up his three decade long career in just one word – Paul Oakenfold smiled and responded “Perfecto”.
“25 Years of Perfecto Records” will be out on March 20th 2015!!
Get you copy at iTunes:
Tracklist “25 Years of Perfecto Records”:
01. Paul Oakenfold ft. Angela McCluskey – You Could Be Happy (Future House Mix)
02. BT – Embracing The Sunshine (Embracing The Future Mix)
03. Grace – Not Over Yet (Perfecto Mix)
04. Robert Owens – I’ll Be Your Friend (Glamorous Mix)
05. Lost – The Gonzo (Original Mix)
06. Tilt – My Spirit (Groovestation Ext Mix)
07. Mozaic – Sing It (The Hallelujah Song) (Quivvers Dirty Dub)
08. Quivver – Believe In Me (Original Q Mix)
09. Grace – Skin On Skin (Orange Mix)
10. Dope Smugglaz – The Word (Original Mix)
11. Stella Browne – Every Woman Needs Love (Full Intention Mix)
12. Ce Ce Peniston ft. Joyriders – Finally (Tiger Stripes Remix)
13. Paul Oakenfold – Southern Sun (Moe Aly Remix)
14. Paul Oakenfold & Cassandra Fox – Touch Me (Paul Oakenfold ‘Stateside’ Mix)
15. Timo Maas ft. Martin Bettinghaus – Ubik (Original Mix)
16. Tilt vs Paul van Dyk – Rendezvous (Tilt’s Quadraphonic Instrumental)
17. Man With No Name ft. Hannah – Paint A Picture (Vocal Mix)
18. Man With No Name – Vavoom (Original Mix)
01. BT – Loving You More (Man With No Name Remix)
02. Leama – Requiem For A Dream (Paul Oakenfold Remix) [Cover]
03. Paul Oakenfold ft J Hart – Surrender (Protoculture Remix)
04. Paul Oakenfold – Cafe Del Mar (Original Mix)
05. Mekka – Diamondback (Original Mix)
06. Paul Oakenfold – Barber’s Adagio For Strings (Original Mix)
07. Ascension – Someone (Original Mix)
08. Perfecto Allstarz – Reach Up (Papas Got A Brand New Pig Bag) (Perfecto Remix)
09. Amoeba Assassin – Rollercoaster (Oakey’s Courtyard Mix)
10. Tilt – I Dream (Casa De Angeles Remix)
11. Man With No Name – Floor Essence (Apogee Remix) [Cover]
12. Jan Johnston – Flesh (DJ Tiesto Remix)
13. Planet Perfecto Knights – ResuRection (Paul Oakenfold Full On Fluoro Mix) [Cover]
14. Paul Oakenfold – Full Moon Party (Thomas Datt Remix)
15. Planet Perfecto – Bullet In The Gun (Saturday Mix)
16. BT – Flaming June (BT & PvD Mix)