Nash from our friends at Egypt Trance Family takes a deeper look at Egyptian legends Aly & Fila and their success worldwide and especially in Egypt. Enjoy reading!
I’m sure you’ve all seen David Guetta playing at the opening and closing ceremonies for Europe’s most prestigious and most watched tournament: Euro 2016 Cup. It is amazing how his country France, shows respect to his music – which in my humble opinion is merely because he is of a French nationality who has established an international brand name. On the other hand, it is quite frustrating to witness the lack of support an international brand name like Aly & Fila faces in their home country: Egypt.
At the time when the whole world recognizes the Egyptian talents Aly & Fila who started their career 13 years back, who is Egypt sending out as cultural ambassadors to the world on behalf of its 90 million population? We are repeatedly sending the same icons for the past decades, and ignoring iconic figures in the world of music of today like Aly & Fila, who represent a great portion of Egypt’s youth.
After all the changes Egypt has gone through in the past few years, I wonder when will be the right time for authorities to realize Egypt’s potential, treasures and talents, specially in the field of Arts and Culture. With this write-up, I am only hoping my view-point reaches out to people in charge of the country’s Arts, music and cultural centers, who can positively make a difference if they intend to. With this purpose in mind, I present some facts of Aly & Fila’s career:
- Aly & Fila own an independent record label under the name “Future Sound of Egypt (FSOE)”; best known for its uplifting trance sound. They also have a sub-label “Excelsior”; best known for its progressive trance sound. FSOE and Excelsior Recordings have more than 200 releases and many compilations. Aly & Fila also released eight compilations and six artist albums including two remixes albums and the chill out album.
- Aly & Fila host a weekly radio show under the same name (FSOE) which is broadcasted every Monday on Digitally Imported radio; the show reached 452 episodes so far and counting!
- Tours are held worldwide every 50 episodes to celebrate the success of their radio show. (FSOE200, FSOE250, FSOE300, FSOE350, FSOE400, FSOE450).
- Their huge fan-base all over the world exceeds 2 Million fans and followers on Social Media.
- Their international tours go rival, meanwhile they proudly hold the Egyptian flag in every show. You can check some of their recent live videos, like EDC Las Vegas 2016, Atlantis Sydney 2016 or Ultra Music Festival Miami 2016.
- Aly & Fila events are always sold-out shows everywhere in the world. They were labelled as “the most active artists – most countries visited” in 2014 by “Bandsintown”.
- Many of their fans wished they were Egyptians, as they reported they are influenced and inspired by them.
- Despite all their success, local and Middle East media is reluctant to invite them for a TV show.
- Thanks to the enlightened and culturally aware authorities, every time their annual show is organized in Egypt, organizers face hardships due to lack of acknowledgment of their worth.
- Their willingness to reach out to their Egyptian fans drives them to go through the Egyptian red-tape and struggles of approvals.
- Their event FSOE400 by the Pyramids last year was phenomenal, which encouraged planning for the next show FSOE450 at the Karnak temple in Luxor this October.
After all, it comes as no surprise for two Egyptian youths to be able to accomplish such success in a short period of time; for decades Egypt has taken the lead in the region when it comes to arts and music. The battle now is to convince officials that change is inevitable, and that if we are not keeping abreast of the new cultural changes around us, there is no going forward.
Until this is known to cultural officials in Egypt, and until they attempt at supporting Egyptian talents that have proven their worth globally, Aly & Fila remain to be the silent ambassadors of Egypt in electronic dance music around the world, only holding on to their red, white and black flag, with a golden eagle!
(Article by: Egypt Trance Family Team / Written by: Nash / Edited by: May Ghoneim / Photos by: Marc van der Aa)
Connect with Aly & Fila:
Connect with Future Sound Of Egypt:
Connect with Egypt Trance Family: